Friday, October 26, 2018

Treatment Update

Sorry, it's been a while since I've updated... but I've been feeling great so I  just haven't sat down to write!

I'm back to feeling like a normal human being, now that I'm done with chemo. For some reason, all of my muscles are very sore all the time, like I've just done a hardcore workout, but I haven't. But other than that and no hair, chemo is quickly fading into a distant memory. And my hair is starting to grow back - it never completely fell out, but I've got a 5 o'clock shadow going on where a bunch of new hair is sprouting!

I'm still receiving infusions every 3 weeks, but they're much easier, for 2 reasons. 

1. I'm receiving them at the hospital in Baytown, rather than having to drive into Houston to the medical center. That means less time, and free parking, woohoo! It also means I'm seeing another doctor - Dr. Patel is still coordinating my care, but she doesn't have rights at this hospital yet, so I'm seeing her colleague. He's nice enough. I do still see her occasionally though.

2. The meds I'm receiving are much easier to tolerate. Before, I was receiving 4 drugs, and now I'm just getting 2 of those. So, my body is used to them. Both of them are smart therapies, meaning they target and block the HER2 receptors. I learned last week that the only normal cells in the body with these receptors are breast, heart, and gut cells. So, the main two side effects are digestive woes, which have been MUCH easier to manage than with all 4 meds, and a low risk of a heart issue. That means, I'm getting an echo every 3 months to check my heart valve/pumping function. If they see that there's a problem, then I just take a break from the meds and it will go back to normal, and then I can resume the meds.

I'll be starting radiation next week, and honestly, I'm just ready. Ready to get started so I can get it over with. I'm most concerned about the logistics of driving into Houston every single day. The appointments should be quick - less than 30 minutes - and I'll receive my treatment at a facility that has free parking, so that's nice. I've got a sweet babysitter in my neighborhood that Luke is warming up to visiting, plus a couple of friends who have offered their help as backup sitters.

So, that's what's going on with me right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment