Wednesday, November 7, 2018

Overcoming Adversity, Part 2

As promised, here's part 2 of my Overcoming Adversity chat from MOPS. If you don't know what I'm talking about, go back and read Part 1.

2.  Watch your inputs.

I truly believe that whatever you put into yourself, whatever you fill yourself up with, is what is going to come out of you.

Think of a sponge. You put a sponge in plain water and then squeeze, clean water is coming out. You soak a sponge in soapy water, and you're going to get soapy water when you squeeze it. And if you follow that soapy water with a quick dunk in some clean water, and squeeze it again? You're still going to get soapy water.

So for me, that means being pretty strict about what shows I watch, what music I listen to, what I read on Facebook. I'm not saying I only watch G-rated movies. Well, mostly I do, because of the boys. What I'm saying is, you will not catch me watching something that's going to make me cry, even if it's "a good cry" moment at the end of a chick flick, because I've found that that just brings me down too much. There's no This Is Us on my DVR. I'm very diligent about the content I consume on Facebook and just online in general. The "hide post" button is my friend.

Life is too precious to be clouded by sadness, bitterness, anger, and all that other nasty stuff that doesn't even pertain to me, so I filter it out.

Some of my favorite scriptures that I've been leaning on:

Great is our Lord, and abundant in power. His understanding is beyond measure.  Psalm 147:5

Now all glory to God, who is able, through his mighty power at work within us, to accomplish infinitely more than we might ask or think. 
Ephesians 3:20

I am the Lord, the God of all mankind. Is anything too hard for me? 
Jeremiah 32:27

If you're wondering what's going on with my treatment.... I'm 6 days into radiation, and it's going great. No side effects to speak of, hallelujah. And they have a jigsaw puzzle in the waiting room, which I'm really loving, even if I only get a minute or two to play some days!

My blood work is still a little off, and the doctor I've been seeing is STILL delaying my infusion because of that, which is frustrating. If he delays again, I'm going back to my normal doctor at the medical center. She's not sure why he's delaying it, since these meds don't impact the bloodwork and it's just leftovers from chemo.

Also, I have a cold, and it's the pits, but hopefully I'm on the mend!

I promise to share Part 3 sooner than I got around to posting Part 2... Honestly? I forgot to hit post, woops!

No comments:

Post a Comment