Tuesday, December 18, 2018

Another Bell

I want to let you in on a little secret.

There is no One Bell when it comes to cancer treatment.

When I first started chemo back in June, I walked by The Bell each time I walked into the treatment facility, and each time I walked out, counting days until I could ring it. 

My dad was there with me on my last chemo day. And when I finally got to ring that bell, it was so special that we were both teary. The nurses cheered and clapped and snapped pictures, and even mailed me a certificate.

And then 3 weeks later, I had another infusion. Not chemo, of course, so it was MUCH easier to tolerate. But still, the journey didn't end with that bell.

A few weeks after that, I began daily radiation sessions, and again, I've been walking past a bell every day, counting down the days until I get to ring this bell, because, as it turns out, when you finish a phase of treatment, whatever that phase is, you get to ring the bell.

So I understand now that it's less about being finished, and more about marking off a milestone in the journey. 

And so today is another day, another Bell, another part of my journey ended so that I can keep on keepin' on.

This time, I full on cried as I read the poem. Because I DID IT. I rocked this, and it is done. Not the whole journey, mind you, but this big milestone, radiation, is FINISHED.

Hallelujah, and Merry Christmas to me!





1 comment:

  1. I am sooo very proud of you, my wonderfully brave daughter!
    May you always be this happy and this strong!
    We love you!!

    ReplyDelete