Monday, December 10, 2018

So, you got my Christmas card, huh?

I love sending Christmas cards, and I love getting them. My favorites are the ones who send a letter telling what all is going on with them, and while I always intend to do that, I think I've managed it once. I figure since I've already got the blog going, it's easier to write here than to put it in a letter.

This has been a roller coaster of a year, for sure.  We spent the first part of the year finishing up repairs from Harvey.  Last August, our home flooded while we were in Buffalo at Mom & Dad's. The boys and I spent 4 months living with them while James oversaw repairs to make our house livable, and we moved back in last December. Even after we moved back in, there were several things we still needed to do, but we're finally done with everything! On top of that, I think I've put more effort into decorating this house, post-Harvey, than any home we've previously lived in. It feels good to feel at home.  Oh, and some of you may not know that we moved in April 2017, just four months before Harvey!

Jay turned 5 in July, and started Kindergarten in August. It was a rough start, but he's finally really enjoying it, and he's doing SO well. He goes to a private kinder at the church where he's been in preschool/mother's day out since he was 2, and has a really small class.

Luke turned 2 in October, and he's starting to say lots of words, and even putting them together. He has been a little slower to talk - probably because Jay is ALWAYS talking. (Just this week I said something to Jay about only talking when it was his turn, and not when he's not supposed to at school, and he said, But Mama, when I have something to say, I just can't hold it in!) Luke misses Jay while he's at school, but he's been spending some time at a babysitter and loves going there to play.

James celebrated 5 years with Dianal in March, and we celebrated our 8th wedding anniversary in November!

And then, there's me. In January, I found a breast lump, which was diagnosed as breast cancer in March. In April, I had a right mastectomy. At that time, we learned that it was more invasive than the March biopsy had indicated; however, it was a very treatable type (ER+/PR+/HER2+), so I'm looking at a 95% cure rate. If you're curious, I'm 33.

I had 6 rounds of chemo from June to September, which was one infusion every 3 weeks. As of this writing, I'm down to 6 more sessions of daily radiation - my last one is on the 18th! I will continue to receive an infusion every 3 weeks until next summer, but it's two medications with few side effects. Sometime next year, I'll have reconstruction, which is a two-surgery process with 3-4 months of recovery in between.

This blog arose from the need to share my journey with those who wanted to follow along, so feel free to go back through old posts where I give a lot more detail about each step of the process.

And if you didn't get a card from me, I'm sorry - I know there are some friends checking in here whose addresses I don't have! But, here are some of the pictures I included on the cards, so you don't feel too abandoned.


  


  




No comments:

Post a Comment