Monday, December 31, 2018

Word of the Year

I'm not a big fan of new year's resolutions. I've never really made them, and the few times I have, well, they didn't make it to February.

I did recently read an interesting take on the idea of New Year's changes and resolutions, but I can't remember now where (and I feel bad about that because I'd love to give credit where credit is due). 

Anyway, instead of creating specific resolutions, this person thinks in terms of more and less. What do I want more of in the upcoming year? What do I need to do to increase those things in my life? What do I want less of, and what steps can I take to make that a reality?

Now, this is kind of the opposite of the goal-mentality wherein you need to set specific, measurable goals with specific steps and timelines and all that jazz. But it's a more organic way of creating the life you want to be living, without the guilt that comes with inevitably failing at your resolutions.

As 2018 comes to an end, I'm asking myself: What do I want more of in my life for 2019?
Jesus. 
Joy.
Creativity.

What can I do to make that happen?

Devotionals and daily Bible reading plans are a good start for me. Did you know that in 2018, despite everything I had going on, I read through the whole Bible? I did a chronological reading plan, and it was very enlightening. There were times when I was behind - more than once I was 2-3 weeks behind - but I finished it right on time! I am honestly thinking of doing the same reading plan again. I know that rereading a passage of scripture (or anything, really) can provide different insights based on the context of your life when you read it, and I also think rereading it will help it to sink in even better.

As far as cultivating joy, I want more smiles and laughter and adventures in my life. I don't have a concrete plan for this, but I plan to seek out things that make me happy, more often.

Creativity... I'm doing it, here and now. I'm writing. I've also started keeping a bullet journal, although I'm not entirely sure how long I'll keep that up. Some days I love it and other days it feels burdensome. 

And on the flip side, what do I want less of in my life?

Cancer. I'm doing what I can do on that front, and it's going very well!

Fear. How can I get rid of fear, with all I'm facing? I guess that's not really feasible, but I want to keep moving forward despite the whispers of fear. 

Mosquitoes. Ha, haha. A girl can dream, right??? 

What about you, what do you want more of in your life for 2019? What do you want less of?

In some past years, I've chosen a word for the year. I've never really done much with that word; I've just sort of used it as a guide from time to time to reframe my thinking. This year, my word is Brave. I think it's fitting, with the devotional that I'm starting the year off reading. And, I think it supports all of the things on my more and less lists. I'm not brave on my own, but I can be with Jesus' strength. Being brave, stepping out of my comfort zone, leads to adventures and the space to be creative. I have to be brave as I face the rest of my treatments, and the upcoming surgeries. Bravery isn't the absence of fear, but acting out in bravery robs fear of its power over us. And, in southeast Texas, you've gotta be brave to face the mosquitoes!

No comments:

Post a Comment