Friday, February 21, 2020

Thirty-Five

I'm not the kind of person to freak out over an age.

(Usually. I did freak out a bit about 25... gah, what did I even have to worry about back then? Anyway.)

But with my birthday coming up, I'm thinking: What have I done with my 35 years on this earth?

My first thought is this beautiful family I share with the best husband God could have given me.



There's probably other notable stuff I've done. Made my parents' lives either so complete, or so chaotic, that they decided to be done having kids. I'm going to assume the former, despite Rissa and Allen trying to convince me it's the latter! Hopefully I've impacted your life in a way, made it better somehow. I've had jobs, and done some well and some I've been terrible at.

But these beautiful boys are far and away my proudest accomplishment.


Photos by the oh-so-patient Randi at


They're handsome, sure, but they're also SO special.

Jay is kind, and smart, and funny, and so thoughtful that it slays me some days. He's sensitive to a fault and driven to do well in whatever he does, and crushed when he fails. I see my own flaws in him, and that slays me too, if I'm honest.

And Luke... well, he's our mischievous one. I cannot count the number of people who comment on the twinkle in his eyes that lets you know he's up to something! But he's also sweet and snuggly, and tries his best to crack jokes just like his "brudder." In fact, he tries his best to do everything just like his brother. They might fight sometimes, but don't you mess with Jay, because Luke is coming after you if you do!

And so, on my birthday, it's not all about me - it's about this beautiful life that God's given me, and my impact on those around me, but especially on these boys.

What a weighty calling. 

No comments:

Post a Comment